Cool off with a refreshing salad
(NC)—With all the time you spend this summer under the sun or next to the grill, be sure to cool off with something refreshing and delicious. Whether that's a splash of ice-cold lemonade, a dip in the pool or a delectable meal, the options are endless.
For a quick and easy side dish or meal idea, try this summer salad that is bursting with exotic summer flavours. Salty feta is the perfect balance for sweet, crunchy watermelon, and when paired with marinated grilled shrimp, it makes a gorgeous summer meal.
Grilled Shrimp and Watermelon Summer Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinating Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 lb (500 g) jumbo shrimp (about 16), peeled and deveined
3/4 cup (175 mL) VH sweet Thai chili sauce
Pam Grilling Spray
2 cups (500 mL) cubed watermelon
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) large croutons
1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) torn fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
• Place shrimp in large shallow dish. Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) of Thai chili sauce over shrimp, turning so that all shrimp are well coated. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
• Reserving sauce from dish, thread shrimp onto 4 skewers.
• Spray grill with Pam Grilling; heat to medium-high heat. Grill skewers, basting with reserved sauce during first 5 minutes only, until shrimp are opaque, approximately 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in large serving bowl, lightly toss together watermelon, croutons, tomatoes, basil and feta cheese.
• In separate small bowl, whisk together remaining Thai chili sauce, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper.
• Remove shrimp from skewers. Arrange on top of salad. Drizzle about 3 tbsp of vinaigrette over salad, tossing gently. Serve with remaining vinaigrette on the side.
If using wooden skewers, submerge completely in water and let soak for 30 minutes before using to prevent charring.
Word count: 344
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «76597H.jpg»