Serve a fusion fix at your next summer soirée
(NC)—This summer, soak up the sun and enjoy the outdoors. It's as simple as moving dinnertime to the backyard where you can dine al fresco with family and friends. With the perfect weather and the perfect meal, you can enjoy a hassle-free dinner that requires little cleanup.
The shrimp and orzo salad shown here highlights the many fresh flavours of the Mediterranean with an added kick thanks to the sweet and tangy sauce. It's a perfect light meal to enjoy by the barbecue and is sure to become a favourite.
Thai Fusion Shrimp and Orzo Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinating Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 lb (500g) jumbo or large shrimp (about 16), peeled and deveined
2/3 cup (150 mL) VH sweet Thai chili sauce
Pam Grilling Spray
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) orzo shaped pasta
2 cups (500 mL) chopped tomatoes
2/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
• Place shrimp in large shallow dish. Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) of Thai chili sauce over shrimp, turning so that all shrimp are well coated. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
• Reserving sauce from dish, thread shrimp onto 4 skewers.
• Spray grill with Pam Grilling; heat to medium-high heat. Grill skewers, basting with reserved sauce during first 5 minutes only, until shrimp are opaque, approximately 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook pasta for 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of cooking water, drain pasta. Transfer pasta to heated bowl. Immediately stir in tomatoes, feta cheese, pepper, remaining Thai chili sauce and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of parsley. Stir in reserved cooking water to moisten if necessary.
• Remove shrimp from skewers. Arrange on top of orzo. Sprinkle with remaining chopped fresh parsley.
This salad is delicious both warm or at room temperature, or even the next day.
Try to buy large or jumbo shrimp for this recipe; if only large are available, cut the barbecuing time down to about 8 minutes.
Word count: 360
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «76595H.jpg»