Issues Online
Feb  Mar  Apr  May
Search Tips

Narrow your search results by using '&' or 'AND' between keywords

Use quotes to search for phrases such headlines eg. "this is the headline"

Also try a Google search of our site

Restreignez et centralisez votre recherche en utilisant “&” ou “ET” entre les mots”

Utilisez les guillemets pour rechercher des expressions et titres précis, par exemple. "c'est le titre"

Utilisez aussi l’outil de recherche Google pour notre site.


Are you eligible to claim the 'caregiver' amount?

Tax Talk:

(NC) The tax experts at H&R Block answer one of the most frequently asked questions at this time of the year:

Q) I support my elderly parents by sending them money on a regular basis. Can I claim the caregiver amount?

A) The caregiver amount was created to encourage Canadians to help care for their parents or relatives at home. If your parent or parents are 65 or over, have less than $19,435 in income and are living with you, you should be able to claim the caregiver amount. If they are dependent on you due to an infirmity, you may claim it even if your parents are younger than 65. In this case the income threshold is $21,864. However, they must live with you in order to claim the caregiver amount. So no, unfortunately, sending money from afar to support them does not qualify.

More information is available online at

Word count: 149

Terms of Use

Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.