Issues Online
Feb  Mar  Apr  May
Search Tips

Narrow your search results by using '&' or 'AND' between keywords

Use quotes to search for phrases such headlines eg. "this is the headline"

Also try a Google search of our site

Restreignez et centralisez votre recherche en utilisant “&” ou “ET” entre les mots”

Utilisez les guillemets pour rechercher des expressions et titres précis, par exemple. "c'est le titre"

Utilisez aussi l’outil de recherche Google pour notre site.


Students can put money in their pockets by filing their taxes

(NC) – Post-secondary education is expensive. Every semester starts with tuition payments and textbook purchases. You may need a new laptop and school supplies – and don't forget about all the coffee you'll need to survive the all-nighters when cramming for exams. These costs can pile up, and will have you sifting through the couch cushions for all the coins you can find.

On top of all the stress of classes, exams, and managing your money, you also have to file a tax return. This may sound arduous, but be aware that for most students, filing an income tax and benefit return can help you save money, and it can also unlock some benefit payments.

When you file your tax return, you can claim education, tuition, and textbook amounts, as well as your transit passes if you take public transit—even moving expenses if you moved to be closer to school. You can also apply for tax credits such as the GST/HST credit, which can mean a payment of up to $70 every three months to help you keep on top of your expenses. Information about credits and benefits for students at tax time can be found at

Do yourself a favour and file your tax return even if you have no income to report.  Even if you don't need to use your tuition, education, and textbook credits, you can transfer all or a portion of these credits to a parent to offset some of his or her taxes, or carry forward these amounts to reduce your taxes in future years. Without filing your income tax and benefit return, you can't get your GST/HST credit or any other federal or provincial tax benefits. And make sure you're signed up for direct deposit so you're getting your money faster, directly into your bank account.

Word count: 313

Terms of Use

Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.

Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.

To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:

Click here for image file: «80084H.jpg»