10 tips for first time car buyers
(NC)—Buying your first car is an exciting experience. With so many options to choose from, finding a vehicle that meets your needs, budget and personal preferences requires research, time and careful consideration. Here are 10 tips to help you find the perfect car.
1) Decide what type of car will best suit your lifestyle. Do you need a fuel efficient car for a long daily commute, a truck to haul work supplies or a minivan to fit the family?
2) Determine your budget. Figure out what type of vehicle you can afford – are you looking for a new or used vehicle? Do you want to buy from a private seller or would you prefer to shop with a dealer?
3) Research the vehicles you're interested in. The Internet is a great place to learn more about a car and read reviews. Talk with friends and family to see which makes and models they recommend.
4) Ask the seller all the right questions. Put together a list of questions to learn more about how the car was maintained, any mechanical problems and reasons for selling.
5) Inspect the car inside and out. Give the exterior and interior of the vehicle a thorough examination. Check the paint for chips and dings, pop the hood and trunk for a look and try out all the accessories and instruments.
6) Take the vehicle for a test drive. By getting behind the wheel of the car, you'll get a feel for how it handles and you'll be able to listen and look for any issues.
7) Purchase a CarProof vehicle history report. If you've decided on a used car, the CarProof report will give you important details about a vehicle's history so you can make an informed purchase decision.
8) Take the vehicle for a pre-purchase inspection. During a pre-purchase inspection, a mechanic will give the used vehicle a detailed examination to determine the cosmetic, mechanical and safety conditions of the vehicle.
9) Settle on a price. Negotiate with the seller to find a value that works for both of you. You want a fair price that takes into account the vehicle's current condition as well as its past.
10) Finalize the sale. If you're buying the car from a dealer, they can help guide you through the last few steps to complete the sale. However, if you are buying from a private seller, you should know that each province has regulations you need to follow.
Word count: 422
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «76235H.jpg»