Issues Online
Feb  Mar  Apr  May
Search Tips

Narrow your search results by using '&' or 'AND' between keywords

Use quotes to search for phrases such headlines eg. "this is the headline"

Also try a Google search of our site

Restreignez et centralisez votre recherche en utilisant “&” ou “ET” entre les mots”

Utilisez les guillemets pour rechercher des expressions et titres précis, par exemple. "c'est le titre"

Utilisez aussi l’outil de recherche Google pour notre site.

   

Carbon monoxide safety gets a national focus

Photo caption: Carbon monoxide alarms with continuous display can warn you of the presence of the deadly gas before harmful levels are reached

(NC)— The retired Ontario firefighter who lost his niece, her husband and their two children in a horrific carbon monoxide accident is pledging to once again take his safety crusade on the road.

John Gignac, who co-founded the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education in 2009 to honour the memory of his family members, cites achievements in 2013 as having re-energized his desire to spread the word.

“Last year both the Yukon and Ontario governments passed laws to make CO alarms mandatory in homes with gas-fired appliances, wood and gas fireplaces, as well as attached garages and carports,” says Gignac. “That's a fantastic step forward in preventing carbon monoxide deaths and injuries. But laws or no laws, it is education and awareness that are required in every city and town in every province. And so I will be doing my best to warn all Canadians about this silent killer.”

Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because humans cannot smell, taste or see it. It can come from everyday heating systems and appliances that use gas as a source of fuel and if devices are not working properly, or venting is cracked or blocked, CO can seep back into a home with devastating results.

“My niece and her family did not have a CO alarm when carbon monoxide from their gas fireplace came back into their house because of a blocked chimney vent,” Gignac tells us. “So my message to others is: Have your systems checked each year by a licensed technician; Make yourself aware of the sources and symptoms of CO poisoning; and Above all else, install a CSA-approved CO alarm outside your bedrooms.”

More information about this topic is available at www.endthesilence.ca.

www.newscanada.com

Word count: 282


Terms of Use

Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.


Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.

To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:

Click here for image file: «80497aH.jpg»
Click here for image file: «80497bH.jpg»
Subscribe