Holiday Cookie Recipe: Add peanuts to macaroons for a tasty holiday treat
(NC)—Both decadent and quick to prepare with few ingredients, these peanutty macaroons are sure to be a welcome addition to your holiday baking lineup. Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Coconut Peanut Macaroons
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Makes about 36
4 egg whites
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
2¾ cups (675 mL) sweetened coconut, flaked or shredded
1 cup (250 mL) peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk egg whites with sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined. Stir in coconut and peanuts.
3. Using 2 dessert spoons (as mixture is sticky), gather a heaping tablespoon (about 22 mL) of the mixture. Place on baking sheet and form into a tight mound. Repeat with remaining mixture, stirring mixture in bowl occasionally. Set macaroons about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheet.
4. Bake 1 sheet at time until tops of cookies are golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes. If macaroons aren't perfectly shaped, edges can be trimmed with scissors, if desired.
5. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Then remove to a rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
Word count: 215
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «79080H.jpg»