5 fabulous ingredients for your pet's diet
(NC) We've all heard about super foods that we should be adding to our diet because of their antioxidant and nutrient-rich properties, but did you know there are similar foods for our pets too?
Michele Dixon, a health and nutrition specialist with Petcurean, offers her list of five ingredients to consider for your pet's diet. Some can be found in premium quality recipes for cats and dogs, like NOW FRESH, that is available at pet specialty stores.
• Pumpkin – We know that pumpkins are great for carving and delicious in pies, but pumpkin is also a source of fibre for pets that is high in vitamin A and beta-carotene.
• Cranberries – For many of the same reasons that they are good for humans, cranberries are also good for our pets. They are high in anti-oxidants and are also a good source of fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese, which aids in pet urinary tract health.
• Papaya – This delicious and exotic tropical fruit is rich in vitamin B, which aids in cell metabolism, and contains papain, an enzyme that can help in a pet's digestion.
• Chickpeas – Many of us enjoy chickpeas in salads, hummus and falafel balls. They are also good for our pets because they are rich in prebiotics, which stimulate the activity of bacteria in the digestive system and aid healthy digestion.
• Cottage cheese – This versatile food is a good source of riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus and selenium for our pets. Cottage cheese contains only small amounts of lactose, so a very small amount would not be an issue for intolerant dogs.
Word count: 260
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «78837H.jpg»