Battery powered alarm provides portable protection
(NC)— Battery-powered carbon monoxide alarms are a convenient way to add extra protection to any location such as in a hotel, an RV, a trailer, or even in a hospital room.
After hotel deaths were reported in the United States in 2013, lawmakers have been crafting proposals to require hotels to install carbon monoxide alarms in every enclosed space with a fossil-fuel burning heater, appliance or fireplace, and in every hotel room that shares a common wall, floor, or ceiling with such spaces.
Broader efforts to protect people from this 'silent killer' are seen in state legislation mandating the use of carbon monoxide alarms in homes of all ages. More than 30 states have enacted such laws, with more on the way.
Early in 2013, the Yukon Territory became Canada's first jurisdiction to mandate the use of CO alarms in homes with fossil-fuel fired furnaces, appliances, fireplaces, or attached garages. Five Yukoners lost their lives to carbon monoxide in 2012 after a chimney backed up and there was no carbon monoxide alarm installed in the home. A similar tragedy befell a Brantford, Ontario family in 2008, leading to calls for a provincial law in that province as well.
More information on the dangers of carbon monoxide can be found at www.endthesilence.ca.
Word count: 207
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Image Instructions - Note: Illegal to use without News Canada editorial.
To open/download image(s) used in this article, please click the following links:Click here for image file: «78816H.jpg»