Take fire precaution around your home
(NC) Electrical fires are all too plentiful in Canadian homes, so to mark the importance of Fire Safety Week, take a look at these preventative measures from Hydro One:
• Keep electrical cords away from heat and water as they can both damage the insulation and create a shock hazard.
• Avoid octopus outlets. Clusters of wires and plugs can be a fire hazard along with using extension cords as permanent wiring.
• Put safety caps on any unused electrical outlets, especially if there are young children in the house.
• Buy appliances approved by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and always disconnect small appliances before cleaning them.
• When you're changing a light bulb, be sure to turn off the switch or circuit.
• If you're renovating, remember all electrical work must be inspected and approved by the Electrical Safety Authority. This inspection must be done prior to covering any wiring with drywall or any other wall/ceiling materials.
• When purchasing a new home, put an electrical inspection high on your list before signing on the dotted line. An inspection will show you if any up-dates to the wiring are required to bring it up to code.
More information is available online at http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/StaySafe..
Word count: 239
Attention editors: These articles are for distribution in Ontario only.
Articles are provided free of charge. Articles appearing on web sites, must credit www.newscanada.com. Articles appearing in Print, must credit News Canada with (NC) at beginning of an article or – News Canada at the end. Any source/sponsor of the information quoted in the text must also be identified as presented. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada articles constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.