Don’t forget this step when you move

(NC) It’s no secret that moving can be stressful. In addition to organizing and packing, you need to update a lot of personal information, including your mailing address, driver’s license and insurance. But one thing you don’t want to overlook is the proper transport and registration of your firearms.

If a licensed firearms carrier is shipping guns on your behalf, an Authorization to Transport (ATT) is not needed. If you are transporting them yourself, keep the following in mind:

  • You do not need an ATT for non-restricted firearms that you transport yourself.
  • You do need an ATT from the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer if you own a restricted or prohibited firearm and are moving to a new address.

Before you move, provide your change of address to the Canadian Firearms Program. This is legally necessary and will ensure you receive renewal notices and other important information. In order to do this, you will need to provide your full name, date of birth, firearms license number, old address and new address.

More information and additional resources can be found at the Public Safety Canada website at

Media Attachments Related Posts Terms of Use

All News Canada content is provided free of charge. Any source/sponsor of the information must also be identified as presented. For articles, credit of usage must be attributed to News Canada with "(NC)" at the beginning of an article or "" or "– News Canada" at the end. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada content constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.

Disclaimer: Comments and opinions in News Canada content are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of News Canada Inc., its management or employees. News Canada Inc. is not responsible, and disclaims any and all liability, for the content of comments provided by contributors.